Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The lemonade.

Not being able to knit without pain has really kicked my crafting ass.  I have a project in the works but it doesn't take very long before I start to feel the dreaded throb in my shoulder start rearing it's hideous head.   I NEED to make things.  Cooking is ok and I've been having some fun with it lately but I need the fiber art.  You know what? Losing my ability to knit and crochet for hours was a bummer but it doesn't matter much anymore because now, I can sew.  Seriously.  I just have to say that out loud.  Hold on..............ok, I'm back.  I can really sew.  I still make some ridiculous mistakes but I usually have a toddler sitting on my lap or trying to push my chair on wheels around or desperately attempting to spin my seat.  I must acquire a stationary sewing chair.  
I know I blog randomly and that every once in a while I decide to have a focus and then two days later decide to delete that post and focus on something else but you knew what you were getting into.  You know how fickle I can be.  


Without further delay, I've made some things.


Ottoman cover!  I used a fantastic tutorial from Sew Much Ado.


New-old ottoman and me-made cover!


This great floor cushion for Benjamin to lug around.  Another wonderful tutorial from Living With Punks.
Single seater by Momma.


I've made some things from Sew Liberated


Sweet Pea Pilot Caps


Sweet Pea Pilot Cap take 3 and 4!  


Sweet Pea Pilot Cap


All By Myself Bibs from Growing Up Sew Liberated.


All By Myself Bibs (with a few minor beginner mistakes).


This incredibly adorable play tent, also from Growing Up Sew Liberated.


Hideaway play tent - Peeping climber


I've refashioned some old t-shirts using the Envelope Tee pattern, also from Growing Up Sew Liberated.  Seriously, get this book!  


Biznez


From Daddy's Old T-shirts


Refashioning Daddy's Old T-shirts -(back)


Refashioning Daddy's Old T-shirts (Front)


I've made the Emmeline Apron from, you guessed it, Sew Liberated.


Emmeline Apron.. a few beginner mistakes...to be cont.
This is not my final version of the Emmeline.  Unfortunately, the bodice didn't work for me.  Whenever I stood at the sink and looked down to wash dishes it would sort of "buckle" and block my view of what I was doing.  I changed it to a v-neck sort of bodice and it's working out really well that way.  Photos soon!


Finally, another project I can now check off my "I have GOT to make that" list is a refashioned vintage suitcase that I worked on for Benjamin.   I found the suitcase at our local Durham Rescue Mission thrift store for $3.99 (it's RED!) and the fabric is left over from some curtains that I shortened.  I used Super 77 spray adhesive to glue the fabric and it got very messy.  Glue in a spray can + clumsy mother who is always in a hurry = super adhered arm hairs, desk chair, sewing machine, floor, etc. etc.  I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.  I love the red, black and white color combination.  It reminds me of a goofy joke I knew as a kid.  "What's black and white and 'read' all over?"  A newspaper!  Don't make me tell you my favorite corny joke about a string.   Suitcase redo!


Dress-up suitcase redo - after!


Thanks for wasting your time here with me!
Sweetly,
Becky





















2 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the sewing projects (especially the refashioned Pixies shirt)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The Pixies shirt is definitely Thom's favorite as well. Now that shirt doesn't have to sit at the lonely bottom of his t-shirt drawer anymore.

    ReplyDelete