Sunday, March 13, 2011

Montessori-ish





I have become so interested in scouring the interworld for early childhood education (mostly Montessori) resources and ideas. It all started when I was searching for sewing patterns and came across the Sew Liberated blog. I made Benjamin some truly adorable hats using her free pattern. I'd always wondered about the Montessori method of education and how it truly follows the child and encourages them to become independent thinkers.
I've been spending most of my "free" time making our home friendly, safe, inviting, engaging and fun for Benjamin. The joy he gets from being able to do things for himself and be included in my daily homemaking activities is enough to make me realize that my time is being well spent. When I was employed outside the home I always loved the part of my job that allowed me to assist people in becoming independent.  Now that I'm not employed in a "job" where I can let that creative energy flow I feel that my son should benefit from my enthusiasm. He even sometimes thanks me for my efforts, no joke..
I don't find much time to be able to blog about our daily activities but I upload photos of our journey every few days on my flickr site. I guess I'm going to try and transition to being more of a "photo-blogger" and use flickr to record and share our journey through Benjamin's childhood and our parenthood.  It makes it much easier for the Grandparents as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment