Thursday, October 7, 2010

Littlepants




My baby is one year old today!!! We plan to celebrate with some gingerbread cake later this evening when Daddy gets home from work. We are also going to celebrate at Grandma and Grandpa's house this weekend. Benjamin shares his birth week with Thom so it is the perfect time to take a weekend to relax and visit with his parents. We bought him a few little musical instruments, a wooden xylophone and recorder and a cute little thing that you hum into called a hum-a-zoo. His best gift of all, in my opinion, was a membership to Marbles. We can't get enough of that place!
Benjamin has recently transitioned to one long nap a day. By long, I mean 2-3 hrs! Yesterday I decided to try and get some sewing done. We bought some new curtains for the living room at Ikea but they needed to be shortened by a foot. It took me a long time to get it done and unfortunately they are uneven at the bottom. It happened that I didn't know the rule about measuring from the top instead of the factory-cut bottom and apparently Ikea didn't make the bottom hem very straight so I just shortened (unevenly) some already wonkity curtains. Oh well, I live and learn. I also made some washcloths from a baby towel since we have a million baby towels and for some reason our baby washcloths and bibs keep mildewing. I blame NC humidity. After finishing both of those things and still having some Momma time to do as I wished, I had the idea to use an old shirt that Thom decided to give to the thrift store and make Benjamin some romping around pants. I saw a link to this tutorial on the Wardrobe Refashion blog that looked so easy and creative. It took all of about 10 minutes work (spread out over an hour since I had someone wake up and pull at my ankles for most of it). I plan on making some more of these. They are so adorable and were so much fun to make. Here is the shirt before, well....not actually before but I put it back together after I realized I had forgotten to take a "before".
Instead of measuring Benjamin, I used a pair of pants that fit him now. I added 1" to the original size for seam allowance. See here:
I used the first cut out as a template for the other sleeve and sewed them together, right sides facing. I then turned down the waist 1", added some elastic and sewed it all together. I went over the seams with a zig-zag stitch to keep them from fraying. Here is the finished product:


No comments:

Post a Comment